Tags

, , , , ,

While sorting thru my ‘pending’ scrapbook projects, I found a one for Halloween 2009. (Yes, I’m a little behind on my scrapbooking.)

DSCF3098_edit

The 4×6 photo was printed & trimmed before I found the Nocturne transparency which was meant for a 5×7. I loved the effect of the silhouetted branches around the photo, so I added a glitter mesh with a black cardstock to fill in the ’empty’ space. The borders are from Wall Decor & More, welded with my Gypsy to make it longer.

TIP: I like to run paper thru my Xyron before cutting images that have a lot of detail or are being cut from a delicate paper. After you run the paper thru your Xyron, stick the whole thing (including the backing) to your cutting mat. The backing is a little slick (similar to was paper), so if your cutting mat isn’t very sticky, use a little tape to secure the paper before cutting. Making delicate paper a sticker before cutting your design makes the paper less likely to tear & saves the time it would have taken to add adhesive. This can also extend the life of your cutting mat: set your Cricut to cut thru just the paper & not the backing (called a ‘kiss cut’) & you won’t cut into your mat.

The gravestones on a grassy hill were from Happy Hauntings. The year was added with my Gypsy using the Happy Hauntings Spooky font. A small piece of orange vellum was added underneath the year to keep the numbers from tearing. I used green glitter stickers from my stash for the title. The spiderweb paper behind the orange vellum was made with my Cricut & designed in my Gypsy with images from Chic & Scary.

After we went trick-or-treating at the mall, my sweetie & son left me at home while they went to see a special appearance of the baby T-rex from Walking With Dinosaurs. My son was more than happy to tell me about all the excitement & major coolness that I missed. They took lots of pictures, so I had a second page dedicated to the T-rex.

DSCF3221_edit

The background paper was from a 2010 Halloween collection (I don’t remember which) & the gray/black band across the middle is from the Bazzill Bling collection. The title was cut using George & Basic Shapes. The paper for the title was from my stash (glossy cardstock painted with Luna Lights), as were the black ribbon & pieces of chain. The ribbon & chain were attached with Terrifically Tacky Tape. The Halloween brads are from Studio G, found in the holiday clearance at Wal-Mart.

After looking at the two pages together, the orange background of the first page was a little overwhelming. So, I decided to revamp the first page.

To get started, I pulled out my paper stash & started hunting thru my Halloween papers. (This took awhile, since I’m a serious paper addict who loves Halloween.) In old K&Company Halloween paper stack, I found a lime green paper with adorable flocked spiders (which is saying something since I’m not normally a fan of anything with that many legs). After pulling the photos off the orange vellum, I realized two things: I wasn’t going to be able to find a way to make the tombstones look as if they belonged on the new background & I wasn’t going to have room for both photos unless I didn’t use the Nocturne transparency.

DSCF3195_detail

I set the second photo to the side, pulled the black cardstock off, and decided I liked the photo in the upper right corner of the page. Then, I began altering the tombstones into a tag. I trimmed the tombstones down so only the year was left, used a corner punch to shape the ends & sprayed it with Raven Glimmer Mist. 3D Zot Dots were used to attach it to the page.

DSCF3202_edit

The trick-or-treat is from Happy Hauntings. The words were cut from olive cardstock & the shadow was cut from lime green paper. The olive cardstock was sprayed with Raven Glimmer Mist before being adhered to the shadow layer. Next, I cut the Halloween word art from Chic & Scary out of more lime green paper. Both the title & the word art were sprayed with Heritage Gold Perfect Pearls Mist. The mist had an unexpected side effect, darkening the olive cardstock almost to a black. After a quick blast with my heat gun to set the Perfect Pearls, the word art & title were arranged on the page & glued down.

DSCF3202_editDSCF3221_edit

So, that’s my before & after scrapbook layout. Hope you like it as much as I do.

Advertisements